Thursday, February 16, 2006
DESCRIPTIVE TEXT NARRATIVE FOR SMOKE/DUST OBSERVED IN SATELLITE IMAGERY
THROUGH 1700Z February 16, 2006
A fire on the border of Columbia and Richmond counties in northern
Georgia is emitting a 40-50 km long dense plume of smoke moving north.
The northern edge of the smoke reaches Edgefield and McCormick counties
in South Carolina.
- Unless otherwise indicated:
- Areas of smoke are analyzed using GOES-EAST and GOES-WEST Visible satellite imagery.
- Only a general description of areas of smoke or significant smoke plumes will be analyzed.
- A quantitative assessment of the density/amount of particulate or the vertical distribution is not included.
- Widespread cloudiness may prevent the detection of smoke even from significant fires.