Saturday August 12, 2006
DESCRIPTIVE TEXT NARRATIVE FOR SMOKE/DUST OBSERVED IN SATELLITE IMAGERY
THROUGH 1630Z August 12, 2006.
Very early morning GOES-11 imagery shows haze/smoke extending from
northern MN/ND south into the lower Mississippi Valley. This line is
approximately 550 miles wide.
Elsewhere smoke and haze are not yet visible.
- Unless otherwise indicated:
- Areas of smoke are analyzed using GOES-EAST and GOES-WEST Visible satellite imagery.
- Only a general description of areas of smoke or significant smoke plumes will be analyzed.
- A quantitative assessment of the density/amount of particulate or the vertical distribution is not included.
- Widespread cloudiness may prevent the detection of smoke even from significant fires.